Alrewas (All Saints)
ALREWAS (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 5½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Lichfield; containing, with the hamlets of Fradley and Orgreave, 1658 inhabitants, of whom 1173 are in the township of Alrewas. This parish is bounded by the Trent on the north, and the Tame on the east, and contains 4329a. 31p.; it is intersected by the Trent and Mersey, and the Coventry canals, and there is a station of the Birmingham and Derby railroad 1½ mile from the village. A manufactory of tape employs about ninety hands. Courts leet and baron for the manor are held twice a year: the custom of Borough English prevails. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; patron, the Prebendary of Alrewas and Weeford in the Cathedral of Lichfield. The great tithes have been commuted for £439. 15., and the vicarial for £250: there is glebe-land, together with land allotted in lieu of tithes upon the common; the impropriator has 102a. 25p., and the vicar 37a. 2r. 10p., with a glebe-house. The church is chiefly in the Norman style, and contains monuments to the family of Turton, a member of which was chief justice of the king's bench in the time of William III. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Ranters. Viscount Anson was baron of Orgreave, where he had an estate, which still remains in the possession of the family. The Roman Ikeneld-street intersects the parish.