ALPHETON, a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Long Melford; containing 321 inhabitants, and comprising 1200 acres by admeasurement. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. T. G. Dickenson. The tithes have been commuted for £286; and there are 40 acres of glebe, with a good parsonagehouse pleasantly situated near the turnpike-road. The church contains a mural monument to Lieut. Sheppard, who received a wound in the head at the attack on Boulogne in 1805, which caused his death ten years after; the old painted glass has been lately collected, and, with the addition of new, formed into two neat windows.