ALLONBY, a chapelry, in the parish of Bromfield, union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 9 miles (N. N. W.) from Cockermouth; containing 811 inhabitants. The village, comprising about 200 houses, is situated on the coast of Allonby bay, which opens to the Solway Firth and the Irish Sea; and is much frequented as a bathingplace, the sands being extremely smooth and firm. It was noted for a herring-fishery, but this has greatly declined, owing to the herrings having almost totally deserted the neighbouring sea; a few of the inhabitants are, however, still occupied in fishing. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £94; patron, the Vicar of Bromfield. The chapel, dedicated to Christ, was built at the expense of Dr. Thomlinson and some relatives, in 1744; and a school was endowed in 1755, by Mrs. Thomlinson, his relict, with £100, since laid out in land producing £8 per annum. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. Captain Joseph Huddart, F.R.S., an eminent naval engineer and hydrographer, was born here in 1741, and in the chapel is a handsome monument erected to his memory, at a cost of £500.