Allesley, or Awesley (All Saints)
ALLESLEY, or Awesley (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Meriden, Kirkby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Coventry, on the road to Birmingham; containing 963 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 4155a. 3r. 30p., of which 1213 acres are arable, 2453 pasture, and 171 woodland; the land is in good cultivation, the surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and the village neatly built. Sandstone is quarried for rough building purposes. The Rev. Edward Neale is lord of the manor. Fairs are held for cattle on February 5th, March 4th, June 17th, August 7th, September 4th, October 7th, and December 11th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 18. 9.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. T. Bree: the tithes have been commuted for £786, and the glebe comprises nearly 40 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the early and later Norman styles, with modern additions in bad taste: a gallery was erected in 1838. £43 per annum, derived from land and houses in Meriden and Allesley, have been bequeathed for beautifying the church. There is a free school for boys, towards which Mrs. Flint, in 1705, gave land producing £42. 9. per annum, and a house for the master; a girls' school is supported by subscription. The sum of £16 yearly, left by an unknown benefactor, is distributed among the poor; and there are various other small benefactions. The moat and mound of an ancient castle are visible at the rear of the Hall. Fossil wood of a siliceous kind is dug up from the gravel.