Allerton-Mauleverer (St. Martin)
ALLERTON-MAULEVERER (St. Martin), a parish, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (E.) from Knaresborough; containing 277 inhabitants, of whom 258 are in the township of Allerton-Mauleverer with Hopperton. This place obtained its distinguishing name from the family of Mauleverer, one of whom, named Richard, in the reign of Henry II. founded here an alien priory of Benedictine monks, the revenue of which was given by Henry VI. to King's College, Cambridge. The parish is wholly the property of Lord Stourton; and comprises 2170 acres, of which 1180 are arable, 820 meadow and pasture, and 170 woodland and plantations. The mansion here, which, with the estate, was purchased by his lordship's grandfather for £163,800, is a handsome structure in the Grecian style; and attached to it is a neat Roman Catholic chapel. The village is pleasantly situated about half a mile from the great road between London and Edinburgh. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £65; patron, Lord Stourton. The church is an ancient cruciform structure. The late Duke of York resided here in 1786, 1787, and 1789.