ALLERTON, a township, in the ecclesiastical district of Wilsden, parish and union of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Bradford; containing 1914 inhabitants. This township is part of the ancient manor of Allerton-cum-Wilsden, and comprises by measurement 1872 acres. A very considerable portion of waste has, under the provisions of an act of parliament, obtained in 1840, by Mrs. Ferrand, the owner of the manor, in concurrence with the principal freeholders, been inclosed, and is rapidly coming into profitable cultivation. Of the whole land, about 1100 acres are meadow and pasture, 550 arable, and 40 wood and plantation; the soil is not unfertile, and the substratum is chiefly coal and freestone of good quality; the surface is varied. There are several ancient mansions, formerly the seats of distinguished families, of which Crossley, Shuttleworth, and Allerton Halls, are still remaining; Dean House, the asylum of the celebrated Oliver Heywood, during the times of the Tudors and Stuarts, is now divided into tenements. The township consists chiefly of scattered houses, and the inhabitants are principally employed in the worsted manufacture, and in coal-mines and quarries. There are places of worship for General Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans.