ALLERTON, a township, in the parish of Childwall, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5¼ miles (S. E.) from Liverpool; containing in 1846 about 800 inhabitants. At the time of the Domesday survey, three thanes held "Alretune;" which was in the possession of Geoffrey de Chetham in the reign of Henry III., and of the Lathoms in that of Henry VIII. It was sold in 1670 to the Percivals, who in 1732 sold it to the Hardmans; and from them it was purchased by Messrs. Clegg and Roscoe. The township comprises 1531 acres, and consists partly of a luxuriant vale, and partly of gentlyrising hills, which command fine views of the river Mersey at its widest part, with portions of Cheshire and North Wales. The air is salubrious, and the scenery adorned with wood; the soil is of various quality, in some parts sandy, and in others a stiff clay. Allerton Hall was until 1816 the residence of William Roscoe, the elegant historian of Leo X., and is now the seat of Pattison Ellames, Esq.: the apartments contain numerous valuable paintings, and a beautiful marble statue of Sappho, by John Gibson, of Rome. Wyncote is the residence of Joseph Shipley, Esq.; and Allerton Priory, of Theodore Woolman Rathbone, Esq. Here is a large Druidical monument called Calder Stones, in digging round which, more than sixty years ago, urns of coarse clay were found, containing human bones: the stones were surrounded with a neat iron palisade in 1845; and not far distant is the residence of Joseph N. Walker, Esq., named, after them, Calderstones. There is a quarry of red sandstone. The tithes have been commuted for £228 payable to the lessee of the Bishop of Chester, and £43 payable to the vicar of the parish. A church was erected in 1848, at a cost of £5000, by James Holme, Esq.; it is in the early English style, with a tower and spire, and, standing on rising ground, is a picturesque and commanding object. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Mr. Holme.