Allerston (St. Mary)
ALLERSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and lythe of Pickering, N. riding of the county of York, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Pickering; containing 414 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 9110 acres, of which about 4800 are arable and pasture, 240 wood and plantations, and the remainder large tracts of moor abounding with peat and turf: the surface is varied, in some parts mountainous, and the lands on the south side, which are low, are frequently overflowed by the Derwent. Coal is supposed to exist, but has not been wrought. The village is situated at the foot of the moors of Pickering forest, and on the northern verge of the fertile marshes of the vale of Derwent. The living has been united to the vicarage of Ebberston since 1242: the church is an ancient edifice, with a lofty square tower.