ALKRINGTON, a township, in the parish of Prestwich-cum-Oldham, union of Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles (N. N. E.) from Manchester; containing 338 inhabitants. The Levers were seated here from the middle of the seventeenth century; and in Alkrington Hall was collected by Sir Ashton Lever the celebrated Leverian museum of rare productions of nature and art, for the sale of which, by lottery, Sir Ashton obtained an act of parliament, in 1785. The holder of the successful ticket was Mr. Parkinson, who exhibited the museum in London for some time, but eventually sold it by auction, and it was thus dispersed. Alkrington comprises 788 acres, of which 74 are common or waste land: the population is chiefly agricultural. The Messrs. Lees are the proprietors of nearly the whole township. It is included in the ecclesiastical district of Tongue, which see. The tithes have been commuted for £40.