Abinger (St. James)
ABINGER (St. James), a parish, in the union of Dorking, First division of the hundred of Wotton, W. division of Surrey, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Dorking; containing 920 inhabitants. This parish is noticed in the Domesday survey, under the appellation of Abinebourne; it comprises 5547 acres, of which 374 are common or waste, and includes a small hamlet called Hammer, from an iron-hammer mill formerly here. Abinger Hall is the pleasant seat of Lord Abinger. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 8. 1½., and in the gift of the Evelyn family: the tithes have been commuted for £584, and there are 85 acres of glebe. The church, which occupies an elevated site, is an ancient edifice, with a low wooden tower and pyramidal spire. Sir James Scarlett was raised to the peerage by the title of Baron Abinger in 1835, having previously been appointed chief baron of the exchequer; he died in 1844.