Aldington (St. Martin)
ALDINGTON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of East Ashford, partly in the liberty of Romney-Marsh, but chiefly in the franchise and barony of Bircholt, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 5½ miles (W. by N.) from Hythe; containing 733 inhabitants. It is crossed by the South-Eastern railway; and comprises 3576 acres, of which 320 are in wood. The living is a rectory, with the chapel of Smeeth annexed, valued in the king's books at £38. 6. 8.; net income, £1014; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church displays the early English style in its general structure; the tower presents a specimen of very good masonry. Erasmus, the celebrated divine, was rector of the parish.