Alderton (St. Margaret)
ALDERTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Winchcomb; containing, with the hamlet of Dixton, 411 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1750 acres; the surrounding country is beautiful, and extensive views are commanded from the hills. Near Alderton Hill stood the fine old mansion, recently taken down, where one of the ancestors of the family of Tracy (Lord Sudely) was born; and at Dixton is a large manor-house, where the Higfords, who have been great benefactors to the parish, resided for several centuries. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22. 1. 10½.; net income, £337; patron and incumbent, the Rev. C. Covey. The glebe consists of 230 acres, allotted in lieu of tithe, and the tithes for the hamlet of Dixton have been commuted for a rent-charge of £150: a handsome and commodious parsonage-house has been built by the present rector, on an eminence. The church, which is an ancient structure, is distinguished for the elegance of its arches. Numerous fossils are found in the stonequarries in the parish.