Alderminster (St. Mary)
ALDERMINSTER (St. Mary), a parish, partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, but chiefly in the Upper division of the hundred of Pershore, union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Blockley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, of which it is a detached portion, surrounded by Warwickshire, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Stratford; containing 508 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3073a. 3r. 26p.; it is bounded on the south-west by the river Stour, and has a great variety of soil. There are three manors, viz.: Alderminster, Apthrop, and Goldecote, the last containing the handsome seat of Gustavus Smith, Esq. The village is situated on the London and Birmingham road. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7; the patronage and impropriation belong to the Crown. The great tithes have been commuted for £188. 4., and those of the incumbent for £160. 19.; the glebe comprises 20 acres in this parish, and 3½ acres in that of Bengworth, near Evesham. The church is a curious cruciform edifice, with a low tower; the nave is in the Norman style: a new gallery was added in 1839.