Aldermaston, or Aldmerston (St. Mary)
ALDERMASTON, or Aldmerston (St. Mary), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Theale, county of Berks, 10 miles (S. W. by W.) from Reading; containing 662 inhabitants. This place was distinguished by various military operations in the civil war. The royal army under the command of Col. Gage, on its way from Oxford to Basing House in 1643, halted at the village: on its return, finding the enemy in possession of the place, the troops were ordered to march by a different route. The Earl of Essex was here with his army in the same year, and proceeded hence by Padworth and Bucklebury heath to Newbury, immediately before the second battle fought near that town. The parish comprises 3689a. 6p., and is intersected by the river Kennet. Fairs are held on May 6th, July 7th, and Oct. 11th. The living is in the gift of the lord of the manor, and valued in the king's books at £12. 12. 8½. The tithes were formerly appropriated to the priory of Sherborne, subject to the payment of a small quit-rent to Queen's College, Oxford; but since the reign of Elizabeth they have belonged to the lord of the manor; they have been commuted for £535. The church is an ancient structure, and contains several fine monuments of the families of Orchard, De la Mere, and Foster.