Alderley (St. Kenelme)
ALDERLEY (St. Kenelme), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Wotton-under-Edge; containing 174 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence between two streams which unite and fall into the river Severn at Berkeley; and commands an extensive and interesting view to the south and south-west. There is a manufactory of cloth, affording employment to between one and two hundred persons. Cornua ammonis and other fossils are found. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 4. 7., and in the gift of R. H. B. Hale, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £155. 5. 8., and there are about 25 acres of glebe. The Rev. Potter Cole was in 1730 presented to this benefice, which he held till the year 1800. Sir Matthew Hale, lord chief justice in the reign of Charles II., was born here, Nov. 1st, 1609, and lies interred in the churchyard.