Alderbury (St. Mary)
ALDERBURY (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Alderbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Salisbury; containing, with Farley and Pitton chapelries, 1440 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury, with a net income of £162: the great tithes were commuted for land and an annual money payment, under an inclosure act, in 1803. At Farley and Pitton are chapels of ease. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a small endowed free school. The poor law union of Alderbury comprises 22 parishes or places, and contains a population of 14,171. A monastery formerly existed at Ivy Church, in the parish, the site of which is now occupied by a modern residence.