Aldenham (St. John the Baptist)
ALDENHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Watford, hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's, county of Hertford, 2¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Watford; containing, with the hamlet of Theobald-Street, 1662 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £24, and in the gift of the Trustees of P. Thellusson, Esq.: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £778, and the vicarial for £110. The church is in the early English style, and contains some highly ornamented screen-work, the effigies of two females in stone, and an enriched font. A free grammar school was founded and endowed in 1599, by Richard Platt, citizen of London, for sixty children, to be chosen from among the poor of Aldenham and the families of freemen of the Brewers' Company, London. In consequence of a great improvement in the value of the property, the master and wardens of the company, who were constituted the governors, decided upon extending its benefits; and the present buildings, called the "Upper and Lower Schools," were erected in 1825, the latter school being designed for the sons of farmers and labourers of Aldenham, on the national system. The same munificent benefactor endowed six almshouses.