ALDCLIFFE, a township, in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 1 mile (S. W.) from Lancaster; containing 111 inhabitants. This place is mentioned in Domesday book. Roger de Poictou granted lands here to the priory of Lancaster, and a lease of the manor was confirmed to the prior by Duke Henry of Lancaster. In the reign of Elizabeth, Aldcliffe belonged to the Daltons of Thurnham; and about 1731 the principal part of the estate came by purchase to the family of Dawson, of whom was Edward Dawson, Esq., of Aldcliffe Hall, a spirited agriculturist, who improved the property, and inclosed the chief part of Aldcliffe Marsh. The township comprises 600 acres of very fertile land, whereof 390 are in grass, and 210 arable: the surface is undulated; and from the higher grounds are fine views of the river Lune, which flows on the west, and beyond which extend the waters of Morecambe bay. The Lancaster canal passes on the east. Besides the inclosed lands, the proprietor, who is lord of the manor, claims 367 acres adjoining the Lune. A very fine freestone is found within the township. £25 per annum are paid as a commutation for the small tithes.