Alby (St. Ethelbert)
ALBY (St. Ethelbert), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 4¾ miles (N. by E.) from Aylsham; containing 299 inhabitants. This place, which was anciently called Oslby, is intersected by the road from Aylsham to Cromer, and includes the hamlets of Alby Common and Alby Hill; it comprises about 840 acres, whereof 634 are computed to be arable, 80 pasture, and 100 common or heath inclosed in 1840. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 8½., and in the gift of the Earl of Orford: the tithes have been commuted for £196, and there are 13 acres of glebe, with a small house. The church is in the early and decorated English styles.