Albrighton (St. Mary)
ALBRIGHTON (St. Mary), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Shiffnall, Shiffnall division of the hundred of Brimstree, S. division of Salop, 7½ miles (N. W.) from Wolverhampton; containing 1058 inhabitants, and comprising 3424a. 1r. 33p. Pepperhill, an ancient mansion here of the Talbot family, is now converted into a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage, endowed with nearly the whole of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £5. 10.; net income, £651; patrons, alternately, the Haberdashers' Company, and the Governors of Christ's Hospital, London: the glebe consists of 27 acres. The church, which has partly been rebuilt, has a Norman tower, with a small Saxon arch outside; the chancel is also ancient, and has a fine window; in the north-east angle, on a monument dated 1504, are effigies of a knight of the Talbot family, and of his lady, one of the Gifford family. The Duke of Shrewsbury lies buried here. A free school is principally supported from the tolls of the fairs, which are held on March 5th, May 23rd, July 18th, and Nov. 9th, for horned-cattle, sheep, and hogs.