Alberbury, or Abberbury (St. Michael)
ALBERBURY, or Abberbury (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Atcham, partly in the hundreds of Cawrse and Deythur, county of Montgomery, North Wales, but chiefly in the hundred of Ford, S. division of Salop, 8¼ miles (W.) from Shrewsbury; containing, in the English portion, which includes the township of Alberbury and the chapelry of Wollaston, 1065 inhabitants, of whom 638 are in the township of Alberbury. This parish, the Welsh name of which is Llanvihangel-yn-Ghentyn, is partly bounded by the river Severn, and is intersected by the Roman Watling-street. There are some remains of a castle, built in the reign of Henry II., by Fulk Fitz-Warine, who founded an abbey for Black monks of the order of Grandmont, vestiges of which may also still be traced about a mile from the castle: on the suppression of alien priories, Henry VI. gave the abbey site to the college of All Souls, Oxford, to which it still belongs. The parish comprises 1000 acres: coal is abundant, but none is at present worked. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 10.; net income, £187; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of All Souls' College. The tithes of a part of the parish have been commuted for £498 payable to the college, and £47 payable to the vicar. The glebe consists of 20 acres. There are also incumbencies at Wollaston and Criggion, the former in the gift of the Vicar of Alberbury, and the latter in that of V. Vickers, Esq.