AIRTON, a township, in the parish of Kirby-in-Malham-Dale, union of Settle, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Settle; containing 217 inhabitants. This place, which comprises by computation 2790 acres of rich grazing land, derives its name from the river Aire, on which it is situated, and which takes its rise in Malham Tarn, a few miles above the village. The population is chiefly agricultural, but some of the inhabitants find employment in a cottonmill. The land is divided among several owners: among former proprietors were the monks of Bolton, Fountains, and Nostell Priory. There are places of worship for Methodists and Quakers, the latter built in 1700. Alice Ellis, in 1709, left a house and 29 acres of land for apprenticing children.