Ainderby-Steeple (St. Helen)
AINDERBY-STEEPLE (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Northallerton, wapentake of Gilling-East, N. riding of York; containing 760 inhabitants, of whom 262 are in the township of Ainderby-Steeple, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Northallerton. The parish comprises the townships of Ainderby-Steeple, Morton, Thrintoft, and Warlaby, and consists by measurement of 4599 acres; Ainderby-Steeple extends over 1129 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and has a net income of £200; the patronage and impropriation are vested in the Crown. The church is a handsome structure, on a bold eminence, and from its lofty tower, which may be seen at the distance of 30 miles, the place derives the affix of Steeple.