Kirk German, Isle of Man
Kirk German, a parish in the W of the Isle of Man, containing the town of Peel, and extending eastward thence to the mountains of Greelah and Slieu Boye. Post town, Peel. Acreage, 11, 679; population, 5098. The mountains in the E have altitudes of 1382 and 1159 feet, and the chief features thence to Peel are lines of glen and vale, converging at Tynwald Hill, and noticed in our article JOHN'S, ST. There are a tumulus, an object called the Giant's Fingers, and some old kiels or churches. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sodor and Man; net value, £162 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Sodor and Man. The church of St Peter is 300 years old, has a tower 70 feet in height with clock, and contains a fine stained glass window. A new parish church has been erected in the eastern part of the town of Peel.