Haigh, Isle of Man
Haigh, a village and a township formerly in Wigan parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, 3 miles NE of Wigan railway station, and has a post,. money order, and telegraph office under Wigan. The township comprises 2135 acres; population, 1170. Haigh Hall belonged for many ages to the Bradshaighs, but belongs now to the Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, who is lord of the-manor and owner of the entire township. The hall stands. in a fine park, which has a vantage-ground commanding a view over parts of thirteen counties, and away to the Isle of Man. Cannel coal and other coal are extensively worked,. and the former is of such quality as to be made into toys and ornamental articles, and to take a polish like marble; there-is also a large brewery. The living is a vicarage, with As-pull, in the diocese of Liverpool; gross value, £280. Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church is in the Early English style, and was built in 1833, and consisted of nave,. porch, and bell-turret; an addition of chancel, vestries, and organ chamber was made in 1887.