Shancoe or Shancough, Sligo
SHANCOE, or SHANCOUGH, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (N. by E.) from Boyle, on the road from Sligo to Ballyfarnon; containing 1208 inhabitants. It is situated on the confines of the county of Leitrim, and comprises 8909¾ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which a large portion consists of mountain and bog; some of the land, however, is good; limestone abounds, and iron-ore is supposed to exist in the mountains. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Kilmactraney; the rectory is impropriate in Alex. Perceval, Esq. The tithes, amounting to £33. 4. 7½., are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and vicar. In the R. C. divisions also the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmactrany. A "Patron" is annually held on July 25th at St. James's Well.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.