MULLAGHMORE, a peninsulated district, in the parish of AHAMPLISH, barony of LOWER CARBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (N.) from Sligo: the population, is returned with the parish. This place, which is situated on the northwestern coast, near Milkhaven, and includes several small villages, has been greatly improved by Viscount Palmerston, who has built here a commodious quay, from which the inhabitants export com and other agricultural produce; and has also expended considerable sums in reclaiming the neighbouring bogs, and in planting the loose sands with that species of grass called "bent," which alone will take root, and render them in due time a firm and solid beach. His lordship has built several neat houses for the reception of families during the bathing season; and a new town is rapidly springing up near the quay, which will soon supersede the villages of Ballintample and Grange.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.