KILMORGAN, a parish, in the barony of CORRAN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Ballymote, on the road to Dromahaire; containing 2229 inhabitants. It comprises 5736 statute acres, principally under tillage, with some pasture land and bog: the soil is generally good, and there is excellent limestone. A manorial court is held on the first Monday in every month. The principal seats are Kilmorgan, the residence of R. Weir, Esq.; Newpark, of R. King Duke. Esq., Kincrevan, of J. Duke, Esq.; and Branchfield, of the Rev. W. Duke. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Emlyfad; the rectory is impropriate in Sir H. Montgomery, Bart. The tithes amount to £223. 15., of which £103. 15. is payable to the impropriator, and £120 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballymote, and has a chapel at Kincrevan, and a nunnery. There are two public schools, one of which is aided by an annual donation from H. Clifford, Esq.; about 200 children are educated in them. Part of the old church remains, in which is a large tomb of the Mac Donough family, by one of which the church was probably built. Here are several mounds of earth covering stone graves, in which bones and urns containing ashes have been found, whence it is inferred that a battle was anciently fought here.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.