Kilmacoen or Kilmacowen, Sligo
KILMACOEN, or KILMACOWEN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER CARBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4½ miles (S. W.) from Sligo, on the Ballysadere channel; containing 2296 inhabitants. The name signifies the "Church of the Sons of Oen." St. Diermit, eldest brother of St. Cormac, founded a church here on lands given by Flann-Dubh, dynast of the Hy Fiacrii. The parish comprises 3393 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5132 per ann. The soil is light and stony, and the land is principally under tillage: there is a small quantity of bog. Here is Clover Hill, the seat of W. Creighton Chambers, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of St. John's, Sligo: the tithes amount to £180. 15. 4½. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of St. John's, Sligo. There are two public schools, one of which is supported by Mrs. Chambers. The burial-ground of the old church, which is in ruins, is still used for interment. Here are some druidical altars and cromlechs: and a golden torques was found here some time since.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.