Kilmacallane or Kilmacallen, Sligo
KILMACALLANE, or KILMACALLEN, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S.E.) from Collooney, on the road from that place to Ballyfarnon; containing 4262 inhabitants. It comprises 6711 statute acres, of which 5828 are applotted under the tithe act; the land, which is wet and spongy, is chiefly in tillage, and there is a considerable quantity of bog and marsh. Fairs are held at Castle-Baldwin on June 4th and Nov. 3rd. The principal seats are Cooper's Hill, the residence of A. B. Cooper, Esq.; Lakeview, of -Weir, Esq.; and Heapstown, of M. Dillon Manning, Esq. It is a prebend, rectory, and vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin: the prebend consists of portions of the tithes of Taunagh, Drumcollum, Ballynakill, and Ballysumaghan, amounting to £158. 15. 4.; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Lorton, and the tithes amount to £166. 3. 1., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar; the vicarage forms part of the union of Boyle. The church is a plain building in Riverstown, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners recently granted £183; the Board of First Fruits having given £900 and lent £500 for its erection in 1817. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 19 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Riverstown, comprising this parish, Drumcollum, and Taunagh, and containing chapels at Riverstown and Ballycash. There is also a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists at Riverstown. About 270 children are educated in three public, and 330 in five private, schools; there is also a Sunday school. Part of the old church remains, and the burial-ground is still used as a cemetery.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.