Killaraght, Sligo

Historical Description

KILLARAGHT, a parish, in the half-barony of COOLAVIN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. W.) from Boyle, on the road from that place to Frenchpark containing 1986 inhabitants. This place is said to derive its name from a nunnery founded here by St. Patrick for St. Athracta, sister of St. Coeman, who received the veil from him in 470. It is situated on the southern shore of Lough Gara, and consists chiefly of pasture land. The principal seats are Lisserlough, the residence of Jacob Powell, Esq.; Ardgallan, of Harlow P. Baker, Esq.; and Ratarman, of J. Flanagan, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, episcopally united to those of Kilfree and Kilshalvea; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Lorton. The tithes amount to £150, of which £56. 9. 3½. is payable to the impropriator, and £93. 10. 8½. to the vicar. There is a glebe of 3½ acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Gurteen, and has a chapel at Cloonlagh. About 90 children are educated in a school that is aided by Lord Lorton. At Templeoran are the ruins of a church, with a burial-place attached.

Transcribed from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.