Killadoon, Sligo

Historical Description

KILLADOON, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7½ miles (N. N. W.) from Boyle, on Lough Arrow; containing 1525 inhabitants. The family of Mac Donogh, lords of Corran and Tirerril, founded a convent here, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, for nuns of the order of St. Dominick, in 1427; there are still some ruins on the northern shore of Lough Arrow. The parish comprises 6364 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, consisting principally of wet spongy land; there is a large quantity of bog, and limestone is quarried. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Kilmactraney; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Perceval; the tithes amount to £42, which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Geeragh, or Kilmactraney. About 170 children are educated in two private schools.

Transcribed from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.