Church Island or Innismore Island, Sligo

Historical Description

CHURCH ISLAND, or INNISMORE ISLAND, in the parish of CALRY, Upper half-barony of CARBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3½ miles (E.) from Sligo; containing, in 1821, 9 inhabitants. It is situated in Lough Gill, and contains 180 acres, the property of Owen Wynne, Esq. St. Lemon founded a church here in the time of St. Columb, the ruins of which still exist at the east end of the island, overgrown with ivy. The abbey was accidentally destroyed by fire in 1416, in which the valuable manuscripts of O'Curnin, together with the short book of that family, and many other rare curiosities, perished. In former ages it was the burial-place of the parishioners.

Transcribed from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.