CASTLE-CONNOR, a parish, in the barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Ballina; containing 4507 inhabitants. This place derives its name from an ancient castle, of which the ruins are still visible; and is situated on the river Moy and on the road from Ballina to Sligo. The parish comprises 16,223 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the greater portion is under an improving system of tillage, and there are some large stock farms; there is a considerable extent of bog, and abundance of limestone is quarried for agricultural and other purposes. The principal seats are Moyview, that of the Hon. Col. Wingfield; Cottlestown, of S. Kirkwood, Esq.; Knockroe House, of G. Ruttledge, Esq.; Seaville, of P.I. Howly, Esq.; and Kinnaird, of J. Paget, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, united by act of council, in 1806, to the vicarage of Kilglass; the rectory, formerly appropriate to the see, is now sequestrated in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The tithes amount to £476. 6. l., one-half of which is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the other to the vicar. The church was built by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818. The glebe-house was built in 1820, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £675 from the same Board: the glebe of the union comprises 50 acres. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is at Castletown. A school is supported at Doorneen; and there are three pay schools, in which are about 240 children. Here is also a dispensary. There are some remains of the old castle on the bank of the Moy, and of the old church of Kilvanley with a burial-ground. There are also some Danish raths.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.