Aughanagh or Aghanagh, Sligo

Historical Description

AUGHANAGH, or AGHANAGH, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N. W.) from Boyle, on Lough Arrow, and on the road from Boyle to Sligo; containing 2893 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the Curlew mountains, and comprises 5412 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, with a considerable extent of mountain and bog. There are quarries of excellent limestone resembling marble, and much used for building. Hollybrook, the residence of J. Folliott, Esq., is beautifully situated on the shore of Lough Arrow; the grounds are well planted, and contribute in a pleasing manner to embellish the scenery of the lake. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Boyle: the tithes amount to £110. 15. 4½., of which £62. 6. 1½. is payable to the impropriators, and £48. 9. 3. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Riverstown: the chapel at Greyfort is a good slated building. At Currydora there is a school under the patronage of Wm. Phibbs, Esq.; and there is a private pay school in the parish. On the lands of Aughada are the remains of an abbey.

Transcribed from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Sligo is available to browse.