Drypool, East Riding of Yorkshire
Drypool, a township and a parish, forming the eastern part of the municipal borough of Hull, in E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the rivers Hull and Humber, adjacent to the east side of Hull. The parish includes also the townships of Southcoates and Garrison Side. The Victoria and Alexandra Docks are in this parish. Frisneck or Frismark village, which was washed away some ages ago by the Humber, is supposed to have been here. The living of St Andrew's, now the parish church, is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £250 with residence. Patrons, Simeon Trustees. Population of St Andrews, 22,981. The church is in the Geometrical style, and was erected in 1878. The living of St Peter's, formerly the parish church, is a vicarage; net value, £200 with residence, in the gift of the Simeon Trustees. Population of St Peter's, 8054.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Drypool St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Sculcoates|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Drypool:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Drypool from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Drypool (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: