Dishforth, North Riding of Yorkshire
Dishforth, a village and a township-chapelry in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township is in Topcliffe parish, lies 2 miles from Topcliffe, and 4 from Boroughbridge station on the N.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Thirsk; telegraph office, Topcliffe. Acreage, 1765; population, 314. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; net value, £75 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Topcliffe. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Great Ouseburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Dishforth:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dishforth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dishforth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dishforth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: