Cundall, North Riding of Yorkshire
Cundall, a township and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The township bears the name of Cundall-with-Leckby, and lies on the rivr Swale, 2 miles NNW of Brafferton railway station, and 4½ NNE of Boroughbridge. Acreage of township, 2049; population, 158. The parish contains also the townships of Norton-le-Clay and Fawdington, and its post town is York; money order and telegraph office, Helperby. Population, 269. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Norton-le-Clay, in the diocese of Ripon; joint net value, £98 with residence. The church at Gundall was erected in 1852 on the site of the former one; there are also a chapel of ease and a small Wesleyan chapel at Norton-le-Clay.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cundall St. Mary and All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Cundall:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cundall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cundall (St. Mary and All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cundall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: