Cropton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Cropton, a village and a township in Middleton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Leven, 4¼ miles NW by N of Pickering station on the N.E.E. There is a post office under Pickering; money order and telegraph office, Appleton-le-Moors. Acreage, 4997; population, 322. The living is a chapelry in the diocese of York, united with the vicarage of Middleton. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and an endowed school. There are some ancient British earthworks at Hallgarth Hill, and traces of an ancient road. Keldy Castle, a small country seat, belongs to the Liddell family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Pickering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Cropton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cropton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cropton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cropton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: