Crathorne, North Riding of Yorkshire
Crathorne, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the Leven, an affluent of the river Tees, 2 miles ENE of Picton Junction railway station, and 3¼SSE of Yarm-on-Tees, with a post office under Yarm-on-Tees; money order and telegraph office,Hutton Eudby, 2 miles distant. Acreage, 2568; population, 216. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; value, £821 with residence. The church has an effigy of one of the Crathornes, and is an ancient building, dating from the early part of the 14th century; it was restored in 1888 at a cost of over £2500 by Mr J, L. Dugdale, the lord of the manor. There is a .Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crathorne All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Crathorne:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crathorne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Crathorne (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Crathorne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: