Cowlam, East Riding of Yorkshire
Cowlam, a township and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 5½ miles E by N of Sledmere station on the N.E.R., and 6¼ NW of Driffield. Post town, Sledmere, under York. Acreage, 2052; population, 59. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £170 with residence. The church was built in 1852 on the site of an older one, and has an ancient Norman font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Cowlam:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cowlam from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cowlam)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cowlam are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: