Cottingham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Cottingham, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Hull and Scarborough railway, 4¼ miles NW by N of Hull, has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hull, and was once a market-town. The parish includes Raywell and Eppleworth, and under the Hull Extension and Improvement Act of 1882 a part of it is now included in the municipal borough of Hull. It is governed by a local board. Total area, 9820 acres; population, 10,153. A moated baronial fortalice of the Lords Wake stood here on Castle Hill, and was burnt down in 1541. A monastery of Augustinian canons also was founded here in 1324 by the Wakes. On account of its proximity and accessibility a number of merchants and professional men of Hull have their residences here. Part of the land consists of market gardens, from which the Leeds, Hull, and other markets are supplied. An intermitting spring flows at intervals of two or three years. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £288 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is cruciform, Early English, and Perpendicular, erected about 1272, has a lofty central tower, and contains several monumental brasses, one of them perhaps the finest in the kingdom. The perpetual curacy of Newland is a separate benefice. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a parochial mission hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cottingham St. Mary the Virgin|
|Poor Law union||Sculcoates|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Cottingham:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cottingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cottingham (St. Mary the Virgin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cottingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: