Cottam, East Riding of Yorkshire
Cottam, a township and a chapelry in Langtoft parish, E.R. Yorkshire, 5½ miles NW of Great Driffield. There is a post office at Langtoft; money order office, Kilham; telegraph office, Driffield. Acreage, 2590; population, 99. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Langtoft, in the diocese of York; joint net value, £312 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. The chapel was rebuilt in 1879, and contains an ancient and richly carved font, date unknown. Cottam was the birthplace of Langtoft the chronicler.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cottam from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cottam)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cottam are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: