Cotherstone, North Riding of Yorkshire
Cotherstone, a township in Romaldkirk parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Tees, with a station on the Tees Valley branch railway, 3½ miles NW of Barnard Castle. It contains five hamlets, and has a post and money order office under Darlington; telegraph office, Romaldkirk. Acreage, 8363; population, 940. The living is annexed to the rectory of Romaldkirk in the diocese of Ripon; joint net value, £660 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Strathmore. There are Congregational, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels, and ruins of an old castle which belonged to the Fitz-Hughs.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Romald Kirk|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cotherstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cotherston)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: