Commondale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Commondale, a township in Guisbrough parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 6 miles SE of Guisbrough. Acreage, 3057; population, 128. It has a post office under Grosmont (R.S.O); money order and telegraph office, Castleton. There is a Wesleyan chapel and institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guisborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Commondale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Common-Dale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Commondale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: