Cleasby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Cleasby, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Tees, and the borders of Durham, and 3 miles from Darlington station on the N.E.R., with a post office under Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Darlington. Acreage, 1201; population, 136. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Kipon; net value, £160 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. A church was built here in the early part of the 18th century by a Bishop of London (Robinson), who was a native of Cleasby; but that edifice was replaced by the present structure in 1828, which was enlarged and much improved in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Darlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Cleasby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cleasby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cleasby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cleasby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: