UK Genealogy Archives logo

Claxton, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Claxton, a township in Sand Hutton parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, near the Derwent, and 2¼ miles from Barton Hill station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 838; population, 216. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishBossall 
Poor Law unionYork 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeBulmer 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Claxton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: