Cayton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Cayton, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the coast, and on the Scarborough and Hull railway, 4 miles SSE of Scarborough, includes the hamlets of Deepdale and Killerby, and has a station on the railway. The parish contains also the township of Osgodby, and has a post office under Scarborough, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 3504; population, 556. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Seamer in the diocese of York; joint net yearly value, £290 with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York. The church is chiefly in the Norman and Early English styles, and has an embattled tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The Scarborough Water Company has works here.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cayton St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Cayton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cayton (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: