Askham Bryan, Ainsty of York
Askham-Bryan or East Askham, a village and a parish in the ainsty of the city of York, 1½ mile NNW of Copmanthorpe railway station, and 3½ SW of York. For civil purposes it is in the W. Riding, but for parliamentary purposes is included in the Thirsk division of the N. Riding. Acreage, 1895; population, 267. It has a post office under York; money order office, Copmanthorpe; telegraph office, Holgate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £170. The church is old but good. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Askham-Bryan St. Nicholas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Askham Bryan:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Askham Bryan from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Askham-Bryan, or Great Askham (St. Nicholas))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Ainsty related newspapers online: