Arkengarth Dale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Arkengarth-Dale, a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Arkle, 4 miles NW of Reeth, and 12 W of Richmond railway station. It includes the hamlets of Arkletown, Booze, Longthwaite, Eskeleth, Seal-Houses, Whaw, and High Green, and it has a post and money order office under Richmond; telegraph office, Reeth. Acreage, 14,566; population, 761. Lead is obtained in the dale; there are also smelting-works and saw mills, and coal, slate, harytes, and witherite ores are found. The mines were worked so early as the time of King John. Much of the land is moor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £153 with residence. The church is good, and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a literary institute at Longthwaite, and an endowed Church school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Arkengarth-Dale St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Arkengarthdale:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Arkengarth Dale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Arkengarth-Dale, otherwise Arkendale (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: